A Nearer Walk With Thee

Welcome to my spiritual journal. I know that retrospect is a great way to see growth and to make it permanent. I am hoping that my devotionals, studies, prayers, poems and incites might also help others as much as they help me. I don't plan identify myself here. I have several reasons for that, the most important of which is that this is not for my glory or recognition, but rather a teaching-tool for God. As I type and read and edit and re-read, I know God will show me so much. I hope He can show you something too.

05 July 2008

Account for the Hope

I recently wrote a poem that is highly personal, but for my own documentation, and for the sake of anyone reading, I'm going to include the last stanza:
"And this is how it ends for them
Broken, bleeding, fighting, failing
Withholding, denying, and dying
But she still gives account for her hope."
I knew at the time I was writing this that I had heard scripture quoted to say what the last line of this poem says, so today I enlisted the help of a friend to figure out where I had heard it.
1 Peter 3:15-17:
15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
The friend that helped me to find this verse also referenced the following two verses on the same topic:
Col 4:6
6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

2 Tim 2:24-26
25 Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
I believe evangelism to be one of the hardest skills for a Christian to learn, and I think that often it is something we avoid learning all together, but a gentle tongue and a good heart make it possible to do it.

No comments: